Homework is considered to be an important part of the Gleeson College educational program. We aim to assist all students to develop skills necessary as they progress through their secondary years. One significant element of self-management and success is the development of sound study and organisational skills.
- To set clear and realistic expectations relating to homework.
- To assist and monitor students in relation to the completion of homework.
- To establish positive homework habits for students at Years 7 to 12.
- To assist senior students to utilise their homework time appropriately by developing a sequential program of tasks for each subject and recording these in their diary.
- To provide a means of informing parents on the use of homework time when issues arise via email.
Subject teachers of students in Year 7 to 10 should set homework regularly and check that the homework has been completed. Students at Stage 1 and 2 will be expected to use their homework time for the completion of assignments, independent studies and other class exercises, to revise work covered in class and to prepare for further work in that subject. The homework will provide for consolidation of class work and enrichment activities, along with the opportunity for revision and private reading.
- Parents should be informed if a student is not completing the homework set.
- Students will be expected to complete the homework, as set, unless there are extenuating circumstances, which have been explained via a note or email provided by the parents. In the event of there being no reasonable excuse, consequences may be enforced.
Recommended Time Allocation > The following is the recommended homework time allocation for students including those who engage in part time work and other activities.
Year 7: approximately 6 hours per week (1 hours on Monday to Thursday and 2 hours on the weekend)
Year 8: approximately 8 hours per week (1 ½ hours on Monday to Thursday and 2 hours on the weekend)
Year 9: approximately 10 hours per week (2 hours on Monday to Thursday and 2 hours on the weekend)
Year 10: approximately 12 hours per week (2 to 2 ½ hours on Monday to Thursday and 3 hours on the weekend)
Stage 1: approximately 14 hours per week (2 ½ to 3 hours on Monday to Thursday and 3 hours on the weekend).
Stage 2: approximately 16 hours per week (3 hours on Monday to Thursday and 4 hours on the weekend). As well as this students in Stage 2 have a study line (approx. 4 hour per week) at school for homework and assignments.